Originally from the photo I posted months ago about my version of the Gotei 13 from Bleach. (angelicheresy.deviantart.com/a…)
After a lot of inquiries about the characters, I decided to just give them full profiles, which led to make giving each of them their own photo. I wanted it to be them in action so you can get an idea of who they are and what their powers are like. Each one of my Gotei members is based off of one of the current Bleach characters in some way. In the case of Kokkan, he's a combination of Byakuya, Unohana, and is a foil to Mayuri.
Kokkan hasn't changed THAT much but he has changed. When he was first conceived it was using the idea that when a Quincy died, would he become a Soul Reaper? And if so, would his Zanpakuto powers be similar to his Qquincy powers? So he was basically the Shinigami version of a Quincy. But I began to fall out of love with that idea because I wanted his powers to be more original. Then his powers just came to me and I began adjusting his profile. When I wanted my Gotei to have some connections to te canon Gotei, I knew there needed to be a Kuchiki in the lineup and TA-DA! Visually, inside his armor, he looks exactly the same as the original photo which was why I didn't have a problem covering his face.
Name- Kokkan Kuchiki
Name Meaning- “Depth of Winter”; “Man of Influence”
Age- Appears to be in his mid 20s
Birthday- December 21
Height- 5’11” ½
Weight- 150 lbs.
Hair- Dark Red
Affiliation- Gotei 13, Soul Society, The Shinigami Research Institute, The Kuchiki Clan
Position- Captain of the 12th Division, 5th President of the Shinigami Research Institute, 29th Head of the Kuchiki Family
Division- 12th Division
Division Color- Olive Green
Partner- Kana Shiori
Base of Operations- Seireitei, Soul Society
Appearance- Kokkan is a tall, lean-built man with pale skin, dark red hair, and black eyes. The most noticeable feature about him is that his hair is styled in large, protruding curl that makes it look as if a large drill is coming from his head. At its base, he wears a small Kenseikan. He also has high arching eyebrows and wears a pair of circular-lens, temple less eyeglasses. He wears the standard uniform of a Captain Shinigami with slight modifications. The most obvious is that his is entirely white. Under his kimono, he wears a white collared shirt and the shoulders of his haori are padded, giving it the appearance of a long blazer. He wears his Kuchiki scarf loosely around his neck and he has a pale green sash around his waist. Finally, he’s constantly seen wearing a pair of white leather driving gloves.
After the timeskip, Kokkan begins wearing a 12th Division lab coat with the same markings as his haori with his Kuchiki scarf tied around his waist.
Personality- Kokkan is a gentle, happy, warm, soft-spoken, polite, and caring man. He rarely shows any signs of panic or distress, and has a great sense of duty towards science, wanting to do everything in his powers to help others by advancing society. Despite his sense of duty, Kokkan is extremely curious. He’s always looking for new ways to improve on old ideas, modifying the work of his predecessors to make them better. His curiosity is so strong, he will use dubious means for his experiments. This is to say he will use dubious methods but he abhors harming others to do so. He’s constantly conflicted between doing the right thing and breaking the rules in the name of science. This is best seen with his reanimation of Doku, a man he trusted and respected.
Kokkan believes in using his experiments to help the world not hurt it, which despite his extreme intelligence, he can be quite naïve at times and people will sometimes take advantage of his naivety. He likes to see the good in everyone, even when they’re shown to be extremely evil.
In battle, Kokkan isn’t necessarily against killing but he prefers not to. He uses precise skills and controlled displays of power to incapacitate his opponent as quickly as possible. He’s good at employing inventive new ways of using his abilities while testing out new experiments he’s developed. In contrast to his reticence to fight, Kokkan is quite skilled at making weapons. This is evident in his creation of his Seishinbakudan and Hyogo’s Seireihou. He’s very cautious as to who he gives these weapons to as he never wants his experiments to end up in the wrong hands.
Kokkan is very idealistic and optimistic in his views of the world and will defend his convictions to the very end. He’s also very forgiving, offering forgiveness even to those who probably don’t deserve it. Despite his naivety, it cannot be forgotten that Kokkan is immensely analytical and intelligent. He is very insightful of other people, allowing him to see through a person's demeanor and determine what they are thinking. He is also able to read well into the situation and he can seemingly predict anything in advance. Kokkan is also a highly capable teacher and tactician. He has an almost comical inability to recognize sarcasm or turn of phrase, usually taking what people say out of context.
But like many in the Soul Society, Kokkan isn’t entirely altruistic. There’s a dark ambition within him that he’s constantly trying to suppress. This break in his façade was seen when he made it clear he would only resurrect Doku if he was promoted. He’s still a gentle person but a gentle person who wants to succeed.
- Seishinbakudan (“Spirit Bomb”): Of all of his inventions, Kokkan is known mostly for his use of his Seishinbakudan. These clear glass spheres contain reiatsu that Kokkan has stored within them that explode when broken. These bombs range in size from the size of marbles to the size of bowling balls. The bigger the orbs, the bigger the blast.
- Suchirokumo (“Steel Spider”): This is the large metal, robotic spider that Kokkan travels around on. It’s roughly 5’ ½ ft. tall and made of white plastic and metal. It has slight modifications such as missile launchers, laser beams, first aid kits, and analyzing equipment.
- Hatsuden Gauntlets (“Power Generating Gauntlets”): A pair of gauntlets Kokkan sometimes uses. These metal gauntlets have a number of different functions based on which colored orb Kokkan places within the slot on the back of his hand. The white orb focuses his reiatsu into powerful blasts (similar to Chad’s El Directo), the red one ignites his fists in fire, the yellow orb electrifies his fists, the blue orb flash freezes whatever he touches, and the black orb enhances his own strength. Because each gauntlet needs its own orb, different fists can have separate properties. He rarely uses these as his Zanpakuto powers give him similar abilities but they can be useful when he’s not using his strength based abilities.
- Kenseikan (“Star-Pulling Insert”): Members of the Kuchiki family have been known to wear Kenseikan in their hair, which symbolizes their nobility as one of Four Noble Families. Kokkan wears his at the back of his head.
- Kuchiki Clan Scarf: The Kuchiki family also has a white scarf made by the master weaver, Tsujishiro Kuroemon III. The scarf is made from the silk of the Silverwhite Wildflower, a silver-white wildfower, and is a family heirloom that is handed down from generation to generation and is given to each Kuchiki family head. The scarf alone is worth enough to buy ten mansions in the Seireitei.
Hyogo’s Reiryoku guns
Captain Doku Akuihaku
Anti-Zanpakuto Field Generator
Powers & Abilities
Expert Swordsman: While not as proficient in swordsmanship as some other captains, Kokkan is skilled enough to hold his own in a fight. His expertise with his Zanpakuto lies in his effective use of its use while in Shikai, rather than his swordsmanship skills. He relies on these abilities, or his pre-planned strategies, rather than engaging in actual melee combat with his opponent.
Kido Master: As the head of the SRDI, Kokkan has immense knowledge and understanding of the flow, application, and consistency of spiritual energy. He knows how to break barriers of the spiritually superior noble clans, a feat which even Captains cannot achieve. He can silently, and without warning, use low and mid-level Kido to great effect. He can rapidly use a single high-level Kido repeatedly, or multiple ones in quick succession by name alone, without incantation or by calling the type and level, while retaining considerable power and control. He is highly proficient in healing Kido. He can use multiple Kido in conjunction for various combination and diverse tactics, and have them remain undetected until sprung in sync by a chain reaction. His skill in Kido is enhanced when used in conjunction with his Zanpakuto.
Shunpo Expert: Kokkan is highly skilled and experienced in the art of Shunpo, considered one of the best when used with his Zanpakuto. On his own, he’s still highly skilled at Shunpo but can’t use some of the more advanced techniques he can use while his Zanpakuto is activated.
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Naturally, without the use of his Zanpakuto, Kokkan is also a highly capable close-range and bare-handed fighter. Considered to be an expert in the field, Kokkan is more about precise strikes than brute force. When used in conjunction with his Zanpakuto, he becomes a master in the field, combining his previous knowledge with his new strength. His skill especially lies in his ability to hit pressure points, instantly incapacitating his opponent.
Immense Spiritual Power: Kokkan possesses an exceedingly powerful Reiryoku. Its sheer strength is powerful enough to effortlessly break free from four overlapping and high-level Bakuda spells restraining him. His reiatsu is light blue.
Masterful Reiatsu Control: Kokkan has learned how to control his reiatsu expertly, divvying out enough to power to win a fight but keep enough just in case.
Genius Intellect: Kokkan has proven himself to be the most intelligent being in the Soul Society. Much of his intellect is seen in scientific inventions, deduction of situations, and combat tactics. He is very insightful of other people, allowing him to see through a person's demeanor and determine what they are thinking. He is also able to read well into the situation and he can seemingly predict anything well in advance. Kokkan is also a highly capable teacher. His knowledge has led him to an innate understanding of the abilities of others and what happens when independent variables are entered into an equation.
Master Scientist & Inventor: As the head of the SRDI, Kokkan is a talented inventor and scientist, having created a number of devices and techniques to aid him in battle or otherwise. His intellect in this field is evident, having created many devices and techniques for almost every captain of the Gotei 13. He is a highly adept chemist and also has highly capable medical skills.
Master Strategist & Tactician: Kokkan is a very insightful and cunning man. He possesses great intuition, quickly becoming aware of any incoming danger and reacting to it in time. Kokkan has an undeniable talent for thinking things through well in advance, making decisive and accurate decisions quickly in battle, and seemingly perceiving any situation at hand. He is a crafty tactician, easily deceiving both allies and enemies. In battle, he regularly uses cunning and deception to catch his opponent’s off-guard. He is a very analytical man, quickly seeing through an opponent's power and attack patterns to ultimately make them useless against him.
Enhanced Endurance: Kokkan has a high tolerance towards pain and damage.
Enhanced Speed: Even without his Zanpakuto, Kokkan has demonstrated tremendous speed and reflexes in battle. Even when caught by surprise from an enemy's attack, he can react in time to skillfully dodge or counter the assault.
Enhanced Strength: Kokkan appears to be stronger than his body suggests. Even without the activation of his Zanpakuto and the strength training he’s done over the years, Kokkan has always been stronger than the average man his age and weight.
Enhanced Senses: Because of the nature of his Zanpakuto, Kokkan has spent years placing himself in a sensory deprivation tank. By systematically depriving himself of isolated senses, he has made others stronger. This makes his senses stronger than normal humans even without the use of his Zanpakuto.
Kagokami (“God’s Divine Protection”): In its sealed state, it resembles an average nodachi. Its tsuba is hexagonal and the hilt is light blue.
Shikai: Its Shikai command is Pray (“Inorimasu”). After the command is said, Kokkan lifts his sword towards the sky as a bright white-blue light falls from the sky and strikes his sword. As he brings the sword back down, the blade now glows with the same light but doesn’t change. It isn’t until Kokkan calls an attack that the blade changes.
Shikai Special Ability:
Partial Armor Manifestation: Kokkan’s Shikai gives him the ability to create armor around certain parts of his body. This armor not only offers protection, but depending on where he puts it, gives him extra abilities. He cannot manifest a full set of armor but he can call on certain parts of the armor. The extra abilities he gains add nothing to his sword’s power but enhances his own natural abilities. Because these enhancements add to his own power, his Shikai can grow stronger over time as he becomes stronger.
Since naturally, Kokkan’s skills are on par with a Lieutenant, after the manifestation of his armor, the increase in power places him at the level of a typical captain. If Kokkan were to train to raise the strength of his skills, his Shikai’s abilities will slowly become stronger, increasing his levels maybe even higher than Captain level.
Unfortunately, because of the unnatural and sudden increase of power his Shikai offers, by using his Shikai, Kokkan’s physical body will be effected after he deactivates it.
The armor that Kokkan manifests is pure white and unlike normal armor, which is made of metal, his appears to be made of a shiny bone-like material. The armor has the quality of making him look similar to a Hollow or Arrancar’s armor. The armor has a subtle glow to it and leaks “ribbons” of energy from certain parts of it. For example, when Kokkan manifests his arm armor, the energy erupts from his wrists. When he manifests his leg armor, the energy comes from his ankles. The chest plate armor shoots energy from his back, while his helmet’s energy streams like a tassel from the top of his head.
When he uses one of his attacks, the light from his blade “melts” away and travels down the sword’s hilt and into his body. This light will travel to whichever part of his body the armor will manifest and when it reaches its destination, the armor appears. His sword has now been turned into a tanto.
Kokkan can only manifest one area of armor at a time and if he wanted to change the parts of his body his armor covers, he must first deactivate his Zanpakuto and re-release it.
- Suisei no Michi (“Path of Mercury”): Kokkan’s most used technique. This technique manifests armor on Kokkan’s feet and legs. The armor stops at his knees and light blue reiatsu trails from his ankles. This attack increases Kokkan’s speed from that of a Lieutenant to that of a Captain. As a side effect, Kokkan’s agility, thought processes, metabolism, healing, and reflexes also speed up. This technique is geared towards Hoho battle and allows Kokkan to use Shunpo techniques he couldn’t before use. Despite the fact the armor only covers his legs, his whole body becomes faster, not just his legs, but he prefers to attack using swift kicks. The price for using this technique is that after it’s deactivated, Kokkan is left tired, exhausted, and experiences severe leg cramps. He must also consume a large amount of food afterwards to make up the large amount of calories his heightened speed eats.
- Suisei no Michi: Sutāshawā (“Path of Mercury: Star Shower”): By increasing the speed in his arms, Kokkan can rapidly stab his enemy. He can use an unarmed version of this attack to deliver a hail of punches.
- Suisei no Michi: Nagareboshi (“Path of Mercury: Shooting Star”): By gathering energy into the back of his boots, Kokkan can release a blast that propels him towards the enemy. The build up of kinetic energy allows him to deliver a powerful punch to the enemy.
- Suisei no Michi: Sen-ten no Hoshi (“Path of Mercury: Thousand Point Star”): Kokkan moves so quickly, it appears as though he’s teleporting. By rapidly appearing and disappearing while slashing his enemy, Kokkan can deliver a thousand strikes in less than a minute.
- Kasei no Tsuyo-sa (“Strength of Mars”): This technique manifests armor on Kokkan’s hands and arms. The armor stops at his elbow and light blue reiatsu trails from his wrists. This attack increases Kokkan’s strength from that of a Lieutenant to that of a Captain. As a side effect, Kokkan’s endurance, stamina, and durability also increase. This technique is geared towards Hakuda battle and allows Kokkan to use Taijutsu techniques he couldn’t use before. With this increased strength, even his small tanto is capable of cutting someone in half. Despite the fact the armor covers only his arms, this whole body becomes stronger, not just his arms but he prefers to attack using powerful punches. The price for using this technique is that after it’s deactivated, Kokkan is left weak, experiences severe arm cramps, and full body pains. The strain of the enhanced strength on his muscles makes him unable to move for quite some time.
- Kasei no Tsuyo-sa: Inseki no Shōtotsu (“Strength of Mars: Meteor Strike”): Kokkan gathers strength and energy in the palm of his hand before unleashing it on his opponent, delivering a punch strong enough to topple a skyscraper. If he is close to his opponent, he can jump and place his feet on the enemies chest before blasting himself away from them. This delivers a powerful blast that damages the enemy and knocks them back from the recoil.
- Kasei no Tsuyo-sa: Ryūsei-Gun (“Strength of Mars: Meteor Shower”): By using the enhanced strength in his legs, Kokkan launches himself into the sky. When he’s high enough, he falls back to the ground with his fist outstretched. The drop builds momentum and allows him to deliver a powerful punch to his opponent when he hits the ground.
- Kasei no Tsuyo-sa: Kurētā (“Strength of Mars: Crater”): By building power into his fists and slamming them into the ground. Kokkan sends a shockwave towards his opponent. This shockwave can either knock his enemy off their feet or create a large earthquake. A variation of this attack allows him to build the power in his hands before clapping them together. The resulting shockwave can shatter eardrums, create a powerful gust of wind, or if isolated, destroy things.
- Mokusei no Kamo Shiremasen (“Might of Jupiter”): This technique manifests armor on Kokkan’s chest and back. This attack increases Kokkan’s reiatsu levels. As a side effect, Kokkan’s endurance greatly increases and can even cause the attacker (if they have lesser reiatsu) to be injured while Kokkan remains unharmed. This increase will automatically make those with lesser reiatsu fear Kokkan, become stunned in his presence, and increase his blades cutting power. This technique is mainly geared towards Kido battle and allows Kokkan to use spells he couldn’t use before. The price for using this technique is that after it’s deactivated, Kokkan cannot be in the presence of others until his levels are restored as he experiences reiatsu burnout and even the weakest of people’s reiryoku will overwhelm him and cause him pain.
- Meiōsei no Herumu (“Helm of Pluto”): This technique manifests a helmet over Kokkan’s head. The helmet has no holes for his eyes, ears, mouth, or nose and this attack increases Kokkan’s fives senses. As a side effect, Kokkan’s instincts, reflexes, balance, and perception are enhanced. Even though, his main four senses are instantly activated, Kokkan’s sense of touch has to be actively activated otherwise the wind itself would cause him pain. The price for using this technique is that after it’s deactivated, Kokkan’s senses are left dull or depending on how long he’s used this attack, they’re all shut off.
- Sight: Kokkan’s enhanced vision allows him to see with amazing clarity/detail, distance, and color. This gives him telescopic, microscopic, panoramic, electromagnetic, thermal, energy, aura, and night vision. This also allows him to predict his opponent’s moves by reading their body language. He can also see through most illusions and invisibility. This makes his eyes sensitive to bright light.
- Hearing: Kokkan’s enhanced hearing allows him to hear with amazing clarity, distance, and even frequencies outside normal range. His ears can pick up every single sound, can decipher layer upon layer of differing sounds/conversations, locate the source of noise and pick up a sound from a distance. He can also function as a human lie detector. This makes his ears sensitive to loud noises.
- Smell: Kokkan’s enhanced sense of smell allows him to detect specific persons, objects, substances or even places, locate their origin and track with nothing but his nose. He can even be able to detect lying, sicknesses or tumors by which hormones/smells the other person excretes. This makes him an excellent tracker but smells that are too strong can confuse his nose.
- Taste: Kokkan’s enhanced tongue allows him to sense both harmful and beneficial things, as all basic tastes are classified as either aversive or appetitive, depending upon the effect the things they sense have on our bodies. He can even tell certain things about people if he tastes something the person they're describing ate/drank previously, such as gender, health, or emotional state. Intense flavors can taint his palate.
- Meiōsei no Herumu: Gesshoku (“Helm of Pluto: Lunar Eclipse”): This technique enhances Kokkan’s sense of touch to the point that he can detect specific persons, objects, substances, or even places, locate their origin, and track them with nothing but the tip of his fingers. He can even detect the thinnest crack on anything that is invisible to the naked eye or sense vibrations through solid substances or liquids. He can even feel the changes in air-pressure but he also becomes sensitive to every touch as even the wind feels like knives on his skin.
- Sixth Sense: Because of his heightened awareness, Kokkan has a “sixth sense” which allows him to feel when there is a threat, seconds before it happens, allowing him to dodge attacks effortlessly. The only downside is that he doesn’t know where the attack is coming from so it’s sometimes hard to determine what he’s defending himself against.
Bankai: Kagokami Ten'noyoroi (“God’s Divine Protection; Celestial Armor”). If he activates Bankai without doing Shikai first, the activation follows the same course as his Shikai. If he’s already in Shikai before activation, whatever armor he’s already manifests glows as does his tanto. The light then covers him completely and when it dissipates, he’s covered head to toe in his armor. It has the same white, bone-like appearance as his Shikai and energy spills from all the same places, only now the energy output from his back is larger and a halo of glowing stars hang behind his head. This gives him the appearance of an armored angel. He no longer has a tanto so all of his attacks are unarmed but with his strength and speed, his body is a weapon.
Bankai Special Ability:
Complete Armor Manifestation: Kokkan’s Bankai allows him to completely encase himself in his armor. In this form, he’s able to use all of his Shikai techniques but where he could only use one at a time before, he can use them all. This makes him a dangerous foe as he’s incredibly fast and strong with enhanced senses and a massive amount of reiatsu. His levels have now been increased past the level of Captain and into a territory Kokkan calls “Grandmaster Status”. He’s now so fast, his every movement creates an ‘echo’ and he’s now able to create afterimages when he moves. He’s so strong, a flick of his pinkie will knock a captain unconscious. His senses are so sharp, he can hear and see a fly several miles away. He doesn’t gain any new abilities but he can still use the same techniques as in Shikai, albeit they’re now stronger in power. All of the same weaknesses still apply, but with his power, the battle never lasts long enough for them to be exploited.
Like his Shikai, his Bankai also has a large drawback. Because of the unnatural and immense increase of power his Bankai offers, he can only stay in this form for about 5 minutes before he experiences excruciating pain. To make matters worse, after he deactivates the armor, he falls into a coma until his body and soul recovers from the strain.
Just like in Shikai, the stronger he makes himself naturally, the stronger his Bankai will become. It’s possible he’ll become so strong, he will become like a god.
Spirit- Kagokami has 2 different forms.
His first form is the one he takes whenever he leaves his Inner World. He takes the form of what a completely realized version of his Bankai. He appears wearing a suit of shiny bone-white armor. The only difference between his armor and Kokkan’s is that Kagokami doesn’t have white-blue energy flowing from his and instead wears a long white cape. He also carries a glowing version of his unreleased sword and its tanto form, something that even Kokkan cannot do.
His second form is one exclusively seen by Kokkan as he takes this form inside his Inner World. This version of him is young, tall, and beautiful. He has long, white hair and a delicate, almost feminine face. He wears the typical vestments of a Catholic priest, including black robes and a white collar.
Calm and delicate, Kagokami is a very regal individual even when he’s in his armor. He’s very respectful and demands respect in return. Despite this, he can be overconfident and condescending, not putting up with any foolishness. He takes his duties very seriously and will not allow anyone to stray from their path. He is also quite pious, judging the world as ‘Sinners’ and ‘Saints’. If you’re a Sinner, he will do everything in his power to give you repentance and sees their death as mercy.
Inner World- Kagokami’s world is one of a blanket of snow. Pure white snow covers everything from the forest of trees all around her to the large cathedral that dominates the façade. The cathedral offers the only color against the starkness of the snow as the entire building is made of black obsidian. Tall sharp spires reach towards the sky and shiny black gargoyles rest within the folds of the buildings structure. Inside the cathedral are rows of pews, huge archways, vaulted ceilings, and an altar at the very front where Kagokami silently prays. Thousands of floating white candles lights the cathedral, also keeping it warm.
- Kokkan and Kagokami’s Spirit Form represent one of the oldest dichotomies in history- Science vs. Religion.
- Kagokami’s Shikai abilities names are based from Greek/ Roman myth. “Path of Mercury” is from the messenger god, Mercury, and his winged sandals. The sandals are said to allow the wearer to travel long distances quickly. “Strength of Mars” is derived from the god of war, Mars and his immense strength in battle. “Might of Jupiter” is a play on the Supreme God’s manifestation of thunder and lightning. Lightning is not only an element capable of generating energy (like reiatsu), but is said to be the element of life and soul. “Helm of Pluto” comes from the god of death’s helm and its ability to turn the wearer invisible. Because of this attacks ability to increase Kokkan’s senses to god-like levels, no one and nothing is hidden from him.
- Although to the world (and to Kokkan himself), Kokkan is Byakuya’s son, he’s actually not. Before he became the Captain-Commander, Byakuya and Rukia suddenly left the Seireitei and didn’t return until years later. Mysteriously, they had a child with them and Byakuya claimed he’d fathered a child while away and the mother had died. The truth is, Rukia is his biological mother and Byakuya was concerned he wouldn’t have anyone to carry on the Kuchiki name so he claimed the child as his own. Some time later, Byakuya got married and had a child. He tends to treat his biological son more strictly than Kokkan which has caused resentment between the two. It is unknown who Kokkan’s real father is and Rukia won’t speak of it but most people have a pretty clear idea of who it might have been. Rukia and Kokkan have a very good relationship.
- Kagokami’s name and attacks have double meaning as each can be interpreted as spiritual or scientific as their names are either the name of a god or the name of a planet. This is later emphasized by his attacks being named after celestial events.
- As Kokkan grows in strength, his armor morphs little by little. At its final stage, his armor will look like something close to Genos armor in OnePunch-Man.
- Kokkan’s lieutenant, Kana Shiori, has a Zanpakuto named Hasaieko. It has the ability to absorb energy-based attacks and using the tuning fork shape of the weapon, can create powerful and destructive vibrations that get stronger the stronger the original attack is. These vibrations are quite powerful at their strongest, able to destroy buildings, break weapons, and obliterate opponents.